Be present

Thursday, January 30, 2014



A few weeks ago I went to lunch with my husband and found myself gazing at this precious little family. There was mommy, daddy, what looked like a 2 year old baby girl, and a newborn. The mom was on her iPhone while the dad was holding the toddler. I couldn’t help but feel like this mama missed such a special moment between this daddy and daughter.

Maybe baby girl did this often but to this “baby less” mama I pray daily I get to witness such a special moment between my hubby and baby girl someday. Baby girl was sitting on daddy’s lap giving him eskemo kisses as she squeezed his cheeks with her chubby baby hands and kissed his mouth. She whispered in that sweet soft baby voice, “lubb you dada.” (As I can only imagine they’ve done to her many times) And yes, I was the creep watching in awe at such a beautiful moment as tears welled in my eyes.


After, I was looking dazed out the window watching the snow fall. My husband knew just what to say then because he squeezed my hand and said, “Our turns coming baby.”

I knew then it wasn’t just my husband reassuring me, it was God too.

You see, when I was a little girl I would wait by the window watching for the first snowfall of the year. The snow always felt like my little present. It was magic to me, still is magic to me. Only now I really see God’s hand in it all.
After I had Lylah the next day when we got home from the hospital it began snowing for the first time this winter. My baby girl sent me a present to reassure me she was with God.

A little over a month later I was struggling. I was having a rough day dealing with my loss. I missed my baby bump, I missed her nursery now empty, I missed what could have been, and more than anything else I missed her! And then out of nowhere we had a huge storm. Snow that trapped us in for three days. A storm that said it’s alright mama. Don’t be sad for me. I can picture my baby girl sitting on God’s lap watching over us and the snow just smiling.

The snow will always remind me of my Lylah Grace. It’ll always remind me of God’s hand in it all. It’ll remind me of the journey. My story. Why I’m here. And even more to be present. To find the joy again, and enjoy my present.


In honor of Sadie Sky Boutique and Words About Waverly’s link up “It’s the little things” I hope y’all will remember to slow down and be present.

8 comments:

  1. Your story moved me SO much. Thank you, thank you for sharing and for linking up with Ashley and I! Would you mind if I linked back to this post on Wednesday for th next "it's the little things?" It's something that I think everyone should read! I'm so happy to have found your blog...it's such a gift! I'm now following along and looking forward to getting to "know" you a bit more through your posts. I hope that you'll continue linking up with us for "it's the little things!" email me anytime at: jess@sadieskyboutique.com

    xoxo

    www.sadieskyboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad you read it. Of course not, I'd be honored if you linked back to mine :) Thank you!! The more I can get my story out there, the more I can help.. I hope anyway! I'm so glad to have you following and I adore your blog. I'm working on a post for tomorrow already!
      xoxo
      Hillary

      Delete
  2. So glad that Jess linked back to your beautiful post. Truly inspiring and beautiful. Thank you for your vulnerability and honesty in this post. And praise God for those little moments of true grace. This was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from the little things link up...

    It takes a lot of courage to tell hard stories to even a screen when you know it will be "out there". So glad you did. I do my very best to enjoy those little moments, but there can never be too many reminders, and your story is certainly a powerful one. Will pray for you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie for your sweet words, and I'm glad you stopped by :) That means a lot to me, thank you!

      Delete
  4. Your story moved me in such a way. So many times we fail at being present and we don't even realize it. I pray that The Lord continue to bring peace and comfort to your lives.

    Kendwy @ MindofKiwi

    ReplyDelete