A Letter To Mamas

Friday, February 14, 2014

This post may be difficult for some to read, and that’s okay. I may offend some and I hope that I don’t. I especially want you blog mama’s who read this not to take offense this is no depiction of anything I’ve seen from y’all. I’ve come to really love my blog friends and the way you share your life with me.

I was scrolling through my Facebook and Instagram, and could barely
keep my reaction to myself.

I saw post after post of mamas complaining about rushing to Target to get Valentine’s for their kid’s class. They had to bake some treats for the Valentine’s Day Party at school. They also had to go grab Valentine’s specials for their babes.

They had to… HAD… to do those things?

I know I’m different now because everything I read I read between the lines. These few mama’s were complaining about so many special things. Special things I wish I was fortunate enough to complain about.

But here’s the difference: if I was, I sure as hell wouldn’t be complaining at all.
I’d be relishing the opportunity to do each of those things.

Maybe I’m being a little dramatic and over sensitive, so be it. The fact of the matter is, while you’re complaining about something many mama’s in fact love to do… there are other mama’s out there that WISH they could do those things.

I understand you work, you have family, friends, housework, food to make. All these daily chores to get done and the simple act of “running to Target to grab crap for your kid’s class” is cutting into those other things that you have to get done.
I’m not saying that being a parent is easy. That it doesn’t get stressful. Or that you may feel overwhelmed at times.
Good for you it means you are actually doing things for your children.

However, shame on you. God gave you a gift and from the seat I’m in reading your daily posts (complaint after complaint) all I see is that you don’t appreciate that gift. Especially when I’d LOVE to have my daughter here and do every single thing you listed that you hate and don’t want to do.

So, Mamas while you complain about taking your girl to dance recital, carpooling a bunch of boys to practice, washing stinky smelly football uniforms, groceries to buy, a house to clean, and dinner to make… while you complain about some of the joys of being a mama do you realize there are other mama’s out there like me?

Ones that don’t get to do those things? Ones that don’t get to hear their sweet baby’s voice, rock their little girl each night fighting sleep, hurry their boy to practice and watch him run awkwardly in all that football gear…

Do you even realize the gift you’ve been given?
I’d love to hear about your bad day but I’m not so sure you’d love to hear about mine.
How about while you were rushing through Target grabbing whatever “crap” you thought your kids needed for their class parties, I was crafting a wreath for my daughter’s grave.


While you’re complaining you have no me time for a manicure and shopping for yourself, I wander through the baby section of every store I go to. I helplessly roam those aisles with tears in my eyes remembering registering for my girl. Remembering the dreams I had of pushing her in that stroller or rocking her in that ever so comfortable glider. Or, even worse I pick up every cute little girl outfit and long to put my little girl in it with the cute bows I made for her.

Only her dresser is empty. Her nursery is empty. My arms are empty.

While you wish you had more me time, I wish I had none.
I wish I smelled like baby puke, had an overdue nail, hair appointment whatever.

You should know there are so many mama’s like me.
There are mama’s out there like me that would give up everything to have a billion loads of wash, groceries to buy for those hungry kiddo’s mouths, errands to run for holiday festiveness, dance recitals, and football practices to get to.

I’m a mama without my baby. My arms are empty. And my heart is heavy.

“There is, I am convinced, no picture that conveys in all its dreadfulness,
a vision of sorrow, despairing, remediless, supreme.
If I could paint such a picture, the canvas would show only a woman
looking down at her empty arms.”
Charlotte Bronte

I hope all you lovely mama’s enjoy your Valentine’s Day with your hubby and babes! I know I’m enjoying a warm fire, wine, my hubby and fur babe on the couch.
 
I visited Lylah’s grave and reminded her to smile down on me a little more today because my heart is extra heavy. And guess what? A snow that was supposed to merely dust the town has dumped four inches already today.
Thank you Lylah Grace, mama loves you too baby girl. Always have and I always will.

  My beautiful Valentine's!

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, I'm so sorry for your loss. As a mom I realize I take many things for granted because it isn't always easy but I will keep your words in mind in the future. My family will say a prayer for you and your family tonight. Thank you for having the courage to write this it is truly enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I believe it of course it isn't easy! I just wish some days I could do all of those things. That is so very sweet of you and it means a lot to me, thank you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart and for the reminder that every single day is a GIFT...even the tantrum, barf & stress filled ones. Every time you come to my mind, my heart aches for you. I hope you get a tiny bit of comfort in knowing that there are mama's out there like me praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes even those, although I'm sure those days you want to pull your hair out. I don't blame you at all ;) Oh Jess I do. You have no idea. You are so kind and sweet. I appreciate you and all the blog mama's I've met that have been praying for my family. I hope y'all a very sweet Valentine's yesterday. Your little babe is way too precious for words! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this. What a sweet reminder to never take anything for granted with my Kollyns. I am always sending prayers your way, and we had a HUGE snow this past week where I live and we rarely get snow. My first thought was your daughter, and I closed my eyes and prayed you were getting snow too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment seriously made me cry! Thank you Kelsey for your kindness and always thinking of me. Your prayers have definitely helped my heart and soul. You have no idea. And we definitely got hit again with snow, they predicted about an inch and we got over 5! I'd say that's Lylah making an appearance once again ;)

      Delete