3.23.14

Tuesday, March 25, 2014




What should be the day we welcomed our baby girl into this world will
forever give me a heavy heart.
Sunday, March 23, 2014.

I’ve stared at a blank screen so many times trying to come up with the words. The words for what this day means. Although, it doesn’t nearly mean as much as the day she was born it still breaks my heart to think about this day. The day that should have been one of the happiest of our lives.

I started thinking about stories.
Everyone has a story.


I think that has been my purpose so far, her story. And that may change. There may come a time where God gives me a new story, or adds to the one I’m telling now but whatever happens there’s a story to tell here. I’m not so sure it’s entirely about Lylah either. Sometimes I feel at odds with the things I’ve shared. Like at times maybe it was too much? Because it’s about her, it isn’t truly all about me, so who am I to tell her story? But she isn’t here. And one day I hope I meet her at the pearly gates and she tells me I did the right thing. That God wanted me to do it. That I helped someone. And I brought honor to her name. That God got the glory in all of it.
I so desperately pray that’s what’s to come of this.

Everyone has a story.

My Lylah girl’s story is full of hope. The Lord sent her to us to give us hope. I love resting in the truth that God made her just for us. That WE were chosen for her. God chose her, chose us, and in that we chose her.

My chosen daughter, I would relive that day and every day of my pregnancy just to feel you one more time, to hold you one more time. I chose you. And I will always choose to tell your story, to share your pretty face, and to remember it all. I will always remember we were chosen for you.

Lylah Grace lived a life some might say with more purpose than a man who lived a hundred years. She brought many to the Lord, gave hope, left a tremendous imprint on many hearts, showed what grace, faith, hope and love mean in a time it is so very hard to believe in them. She took her final breath in the safest place on this Earth, in her Mama’s womb. And the Lord called her home. Her purpose complete.
Free of any pain, she can soar.


“The amount of time on earth matters very little: a man can live in greed and pride 90 years and never find God, know Him or accomplish His Plan. A stillborn baby on the other hand, teaches people to love, brings people to the Lord, teaches us the tenuous nature of life and teaches us a faith that those who have not suffered loss can never know. A child not even breathing for an hour, can have an impact greater than a famous preacher. The purpose of life is not ours to decide nor in our hands: it is brought about by God.”
-Author Unknown

I will always carry the weight of this with me. I’m positive I will respond in the future, that the baby I’m holding isn’t my first in fact; they have a sister watching over them in Heaven. And I’m certain my future children will know their sister. Will know her name, what she did for us, and how her purpose was fulfilled because she did so much more than most can do in a lifetime.

She led those around her to God.
She made people feel love and hope again. She did so many things before she was ever born. I’m positive her life has more meaning than anyone will ever know because the only person who is responsible for it is Him. So, I’ll rest in that.

I’ll rest in knowing it wasn’t all for nothing. I didn’t go through a difficult labor and all of the pain to be ripped away from my baby. I didn’t listen to the nurses and grief staff while they handed me the only pieces left of my daughter that I’ll ever hold, just to ignore them now. I wasn’t more excited or full of joy and love in those 21 weeks only to never feel that again. I didn’t relentlessly plan and create and enjoy the process of pregnancy, what a new baby brings to a family; to never relive it again. It wasn’t all for nothing, and I know that with more purpose now than ever before.
I’ll rest in knowing that Lylah’s life meant so much more. Without her, without all of this I wouldn’t feel as strongly, as passionately, and as fiercely as I do now about every little thing. I know for certain we are destined for more, and that’s all due to Lylah Grace.
I feel at peace when I think like that. But I also sob. And my heart feels so heavy it weighs my whole body down so much I feel like I could collapse. Because sometimes, even at peace, it just doesn’t quite seem fair. That she had to go for us to learn our truth about my body. The body God made for childbirth. One of the most beautiful things a woman can do, mine was made just a little different. But we had to lose her to learn it was different. And no matter how I dissect that, what scripture I look to find the comfort, what meaning her life had, sometimes it all just isn’t enough for me.
I’m at peace with that too.

More than anything I know I’ll never take motherhood for granted. I’ll never feel the way some women do with their children. I think it’s only something a mother can feel that has lost a child. There’s no way to understand this unless you’ve been there. I’ll never wish my days away looking for more tomorrows. I’ll hold steady in the today, because that’s all you’re promised.
 
I’m not angry with God. I don’t place blame. I understand. I accept. Sometimes I’m sad. And more often than not I find the joy. I feel alive again. I breathe without feeling like it may be my last breath. And I smile. But more importantly, I fiercely feel all of it. Nothing has changed in that truth. I feel everything so much deeper than I ever did before.

To celebrate Lylah we let off some balloons and with each one made a wish. It was a cold cloudy day until I let go of the last balloon. A little ray of sunshine peeked through the clouds, and I know in my heart that was her. We said a prayer by our tree at our farm that holds so much meaning for us.

 
Lylah's story isn't over, just like ours isn't. This little girl has done so many things, and she continues to everyday. Her spirit alone has done so much good.
I didn't think this day would be such a happy one for me. But again, I was reminded of a God that loves us unconditionally and is only trying to guide us along in His plan in His time. The gentle reminder of that made this day a hundred times more happy than what I imagined it'd be. And I'm so very thankful for a God that rejoices with us but also feels the pain we feel when our hearts are broken. 
The same God that will never leave or forsake you.

My little Lylah Grace, I carry your heart I carry it in my heart. Every day baby girl.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment