Time Doesn't Keep

Wednesday, March 26, 2014



I’m linking up again with Jess and Ashley for the It’s The Little Things link up. One that I seriously love so much and look forward to writing each week. And I really enjoy reading everyone’s “little things” that often end up reminding me
to slow down too. Such an awesome link up to be a part of!

Free print download available here
When planning out Lylah’s nursery I was obsessed with figuring out the décor. I absolutely love decorating our home and knew having a fresh room, especially a nursery to do would be my heaven. I had always heard of this sweet little poem but it wasn’t until I was pregnant that I really felt the meaning of it. I knew somehow I wanted to incorporate it into the nursery. While I know this doesn’t really pertain to a puppy, I’d like to believe it kinda does for me.

Last weekend someone asked how old Jessie is and I kindly replied although, I knew what their next response would be. I told them she was two and still gets really excited around new people, much like many labs do. They are an energetic friendly breed. Of course, the person responded exactly how I had anticipated, they said oh wait until she’s 4 she’ll calm down then. Well, asswipe I don’t want her to calm down. I’m sorry her kisses and hugs are not quite what you wanted, but you walked up to us. She in no way tackled the man, jumped on him at all. She wagged her tail, licked his hands clean, and did circles around his legs getting so excited for the pets.

 
There are times when I think it’ll be nice when she gets a couple years older and wants to play a little less. And then I stop myself right there. Jessie was Austin’s birthday present two years ago. We had just moved into our very first apartment together. We were newly engaged, only two months. And we wanted a baby like yesterday, which obviously isn’t practical when you aren’t even married yet. So, I settled for the next best thing, a puppy. I searched the internet, local papers, and called breeder after breeder for a couple weeks with not much luck. Until I ran into a breeder about 30 minutes away. I knew we wanted a lab. They’re my favorite and Austin had a yellow lab growing up, Maggie (That passed away a few months after we got Jessie) Anyway, knowing we would only want a yellow female I called the breeder with high hopes. They ended up being all spoken for. I bursted into tears, with Austin’s birthday only two weeks away it was feeling like a lost cause. I begged the breeder to call me if someone backed out. Turns out that next weekend he called me and said a couple had changed their mind, and he had a yellow female available. I couldn’t keep the secret I told Austin we had a road trip that weekend to go visit his present. When we walked in all of the puppies ran to the door, and a few minutes later they waddled back to their Mama ready to feed again except for one. She sat at my feet licking my shoes and chewing my shoestrings. He told us that she was our puppy, the only one without a collar on. While Austin held her I paid the breeder and we snapped a couple pictures. He put Jessie’s new collar on her with my name on it, so they knew which one was ours and we left with the fullest hearts.

Here we are, two years later and our hearts are still so full. A few hundred dollar vet visits, three dog beds, and numerous chewed up shoes and God knows what else under our belts and we’re still so in love with Jess. I wouldn’t change any of it because I know this won’t last. Unlike that man who liked my dog just not enough that she was so hyper, I know this won’t last.
Before long she’ll be too old or sick to play like she does now. She won’t be able to take the several mile walks in the woods with us. She won’t be able to go hunting every chance Austin gets anymore. She won’t be able to run to the door when we get home so thrilled we’re finally home. She won’t be able to run laps around our backyard while Austin makes her snow forts and tunnels to run through. She won’t be able to run the perimeter checking on the barns and everything else around the farm every weekend like she does now. She won’t be able to do a lot of what she LOVES to do.


We took a hike through the woods a couple weekends ago and gosh it was amazing to see her so happy. In her element completely. Like it was any other day, just her and Dad trotting around checking things out seeing if they could find an antler shed or whatever else they wanted to do. It was beyond adorable. I usually always go with them to our farm to play but not always out in the woods. It’s a long hike and I get a little whiny (LOL ;) but this time I wanted to go. We finally had some warm weather and the sun was out. Jessie would run ahead like she always does and then she’d stop turn and look back at us like, “Come on Mama why are you taking so long.” My heart swelled up so much I cried. I couldn’t help it but I balled like a baby in those woods. Because I know, this won’t last. And that literally breaks my heart. Jessie was so ready for her sister. She knew something was coming. Dogs are so instinctive it’s crazy. She knew I was pregnant and she knew something was wrong when I went into labor. She knew something was really wrong when we came home without a baby and me sick. She never left my side ONCE while I was pregnant. Or even afterward. She laid with me for days, never moving. She knew.
I can’t wait to see her with our babies one day. I know they’ll ride her around like a pony when they’re toddlers, just like I did with my dog. They’ll trot off in the woods with us or at the farm and Jess will walk right beside them waiting for them to fall. She’ll be right there to catch them. I can’t wait for this part.


But I can. Because I know this won’t last.

Babies don’t keep. This time doesn’t keep. Before we know it we’ll be old and grey in our rocking chairs on the porch drinking teas. Before we know it everything will have changed, and we’ll have missed it if we don’t slow down to appreciate it.
I’m terrified of that. Missing things. That’s why I take a thousand pictures a day or I write constantly. I’m afraid of forgetting something, or missing a moment that may seem mundane. Because in the end those normal, mundane, regular, everyday moments in life turn out to be the most significant.

Yes, baby girl likes us to hold her paws, and when we're in the car
she has to rest her head on the center console so she is in
the middle of us.
Babies don’t keep. This time doesn’t keep. It won’t be like this for long…
(Yes, Darius Rucker lyrics intended…go listen to that song now y’all!)


1 comment:

  1. Great, heartfelt post!! I totally agree - & get emotional about it, too!

    wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete