Little Moments Like Stealing Eggs & Austin's 25th!

Wednesday, March 12, 2014



 
Last weekend was a complete shit show… like stealing an egg from your in-laws house while you’re over because you need one more for your cake, and simply running to the store is out of the question when you’re ready to pull your hair out. I’ll be real honest; it was the first time I’ve cooked for roughly 16 people. Wowzas I need some lessons.
But at the end of the day what really matters is having family all together to celebrate an important and special day to us. The hubs turned 25!! It’s not every day you reach such a milestone ;)
 
We started our weekend out with French toast and homemade berry syrup. I’m only slightly embarrassed to admit I can eat it straight out of the jar…YUMM! I baked and baked some more in preparing for our Sunday Supper that we were hosting for Austin’s birthday.



Saturday night we went out to one of our favorite local pubs with a group of great friends. You get your beer served in a huge fishbowl glass here, wish I had a picture but you will soon see I failed miserably at taking pictures this year. Austin had a great night with our friends, and I’m glad I planned our dinner out even though he said at first he hadn’t wanted to make a big deal out of his birthday this year.

Sunday came and with it went my sanity. I had to quadruple my recipe and it ended up taking an extra hour to cook than I had anticipated. Ohh lawdy. Luckily no flare ups occurred. I think everyone could tell I was on the edge of a nervous breakdown. Hosting that many people was new territory for me. I love a good dinner party and cocktails but usually they’ve been catered or potluck style. This year was entirely homemade and that’s the way I honestly like it.



Being in charge of taking pictures and videotaping for our home video collection was difficult! I think in the future I’ll hand one of those duties over to someone else because I failed at getting hardly any pictures. Oh well… ya win some ya lose some.

I made a double layered homemade chocolate chip cookie cake with chocolate icing and chocolate cupcakes. One thing I love about birthdays ever since I was young my Mom always insisted on baking our cakes, and it’s something I plan to continue with my own family. I think there is something so much more special about the labor of love put into baking your own cake for your loved one. And I love decorating them!


Austin built a bar that we used for our reception at the farm, and we’ve planned on putting it in our home just as soon as we get a bigger house. The one we are in now simply has no room for a bar area. Instead I use a little bar tray/cart I’ve made. I at least got a photo of the tray. We started with tequila sunrises with brunch, and later I made twisted teas (aka Arnold Palmers), which felt suiting since we had a 50' heat wave and served his beers of choice.

 

I’d say about half way through the day I threw in the towel and just let what be, be. I’m a perfectionist and I’m the first to say it. I had high hopes of capturing every little detail while enjoying everyone’s company, and simply marveling at my newly 25 year old hubby. It just didn’t happen like that. I didn’t get the photos I wanted, we barely have a home movie for his birthday this year, and my meal took an hour longer than I anticipated. Through it all though he reassured me everything was fine and made me laugh at myself about how worked up I got over it all.

Definitely a weekend for the books. I’m sure just another memory we’ll tell our kids about someday when mama and daddy realized again we “live for little moments like that.”


We love our favorite guy! And I'm pretty grateful I have these two lovies in my life that constantly remind me to slow down and remember the best moments in life are the little ones. After all, those little ones end up being the big ones guys!



2 comments:

  1. I just replied to your SWEET comment but not sure if it went through so I wanted to write it here, too. (You are a non-reply blogger, I think it's pretty easy to change that if you aren't getting replies.)

    I really think you are such a strong person & that you have the best things coming to you. You, your hubby & Jessie are too cute - so glad you have both of them to give you lots of loving!!!!!!!!!!!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like such a fun weekend! you did a great job! props to you for cooking for so many! and i have done the "run to the in-laws" wayyyy to many times! just did it last night for a potato! haha!

    ReplyDelete